Friday, May 02, 2008

Career Doctor: What qualifications do I need to become a legal secretary?

We sourced this interesting question on the Irish Independent....

Q

I am 25 years old and work in retail, but something about the job isn’t right for me. For a long time, I’ve had a huge interest in the legal profession. I would like to know what qualifications I’d need to become a legal secretary and how to look for work experience. I would appreciate any advice you could give me about my career prospects in this area.

A

In relation to your first question, I would suggest you check out two websites: www.careerdirections.ie and www.fas.ie.

The first gives a comprehensive list of courses that will help you qualify as a legal secretary. The second outlines the details of the FÁS legal secretary traineeship.

Many of these courses are full-time day courses, typically lasting one year. When investigating courses, you should ask whether they include work experience. Would a full-time day course be an issue for you? FÁS offers a legal secretary traineeship, which is a full-time day course, but only lasts 29 weeks. This may be a better option.

Something you didn’t ask about, but I’d suggest is very relevant to your decision, is salary expectations. This depends on where you are located and the size of your potential employer’s business. Entry salaries range from €18,000 to €25,000, but good legal secretaries with more than five years’ experience typically earn up to €35,000.

In terms of the second part of your question, the good news is that legal secretaries are in demand, and the prospects of getting work, once qualified, are very positive.

Therefore I’d suggest you keep an eye on the appointments pages in both the local and national press. There are also some recruitment companies that could help you out.

Finally, consider the work you will do as a legal secretary. Do you like this type of work and does it make the most of your strengths? For example, you will need strong communication, planning and organisational skills. In addition, you will be expected to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.

It is a brave but not too daunting move you are contemplating. Best of luck with it and bear in mind, when you find work that you love, you will never work again!

Terry Judge is a career coach with Mind Solutions.

www.mindsolutions.ie

No comments: