Sunday, May 11, 2008

Time for Tennis

Ireland is still waiting to find her answer to Borg, Connors, McEnroe...Ok, OK, I am showing my age.

Tennis Ireland remains ever hopeful though! Every year Park Tennis coaching is carried out for those aged between 6 to 17 and this year it kicks in again.

A Tennis Coaching programme takes place this Summer at various venues around the country.

Hourly classes are divided according to age and standard.

This is a low cost programme subsidised by various sponsors.

The only cost is a small once off registration fee - and that's it.. All equipment supplied, racquets and balls - Free T-shirts for all.

Get going and enjoy this fun programme with your friends while learning tennis. Dates and times vary according to locations but are mostly during July or August. The full 2008 Timetable.

Quoting an interview with John McEnroe for the BBC Sports

Tennis does have a stuffy image.

That's not just here, but everywhere, even the United States.

But I can tell you tennis is one of the best all round games that I've been lucky enough to be part of.

It combines a lot of strategy and the mental part of the sport is huge because you're out there by yourself.

It can be difficult being on your own, I know this myself.

When you lose you feel really naked out there and it's difficult to accept it but that's part of the process.

Tennis is one of the most difficult sports to learn, but when you do master it, it's so enjoyable because things happen without you even thinking.

You can win points in lots of different ways and be totally creative on the court too.

People talk about attitude and in the UK it seems very important to be a good loser.

While in America you are taught to win at any cost. I personally feel that somewhere in the middle of that would be ideal.

I always say that the greatest match I was ever part of was the 1980 Wimbledon final which I lost to Bjorn Borg.

Even though it sounds corny, I felt like I came out of that match a winner.

My respect level among players and fans went up by 20 or 50 times more and that's the match people always ask me about.

It's a lot harder to go out and fail or lose than to try at all. I give automatic respect to people who are willing to get themselves out there.

You should take great pride in giving 100 per cent effort.

Maybe you don't always win but you'll be amazed that a lot of good things will happen.

Never give up!

No comments: